[dc-ops] Suggestions for USB cell modem for SMS alerting

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Fri Sep 9 11:32:27 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 09:44:32AM -0400, Matthew Huff wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a box to send critical nagios alerts via SMS directly to operations staff's phones using either kannel or smstools. Does anyone have any suggestion for a USB cell modem that will work in a datacenter in the NE US? Verizon & AT&T have decent service in our region. Ideally the modem would be able to be connected to an external antenna we would run up to the roof.

MultiTech MultiModem GPRS.

http://www.multitech.com/en_US/products/families/multimodemgprs/

We haven't used the USB model before, just the serial model.

Being GPRS, it'll work on AT&T, but not Verizon. We've used mostly
AT&T, some T-Mobile.

Never had any need to run a special antenna for it, it always got
decent enough signal with its little stubby antenna. We don't go into
Equinox sized buildings either though. It does have a standard SMA jack.