[dc-ops] Device Naming Scheme

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Sep 28 19:35:17 EDT 2011

Apologies if this is a bit off topic for this list.  I'm looking for
thoughts on device naming schemes -- experiences both good and bad.

The "cute" names only scale to a certain point, and when you have a
detached NOC it can be pretty helpful to have some information on
device location, function, etc built into the hostname.

We're in a spot where we have a number of different naming schemes
going on and need to standardize.  We're planning on attempting to
capture  site name, device function, OS (?), virtual/physical and an
instance number.

(Notably absent is rack # which I've seen in other examples).

Do you "blend" naming schemes for different classes of devices?  e.g.
servers and network devices.

Would love to see some examples of schemes that have worked well and
metadata you've found worth or not worth attempting to capture in a
device name.

Thanks!
Ray

PS: Is there an active equivalent of NANOG or this list for
server/sysadmin related discussion?