[dc-ops] Device Naming Scheme

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 28 19:45:57 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ray Van Dolson" <rvandolson at esri.com>

> Apologies if this is a bit off topic for this list. I'm looking for
> thoughts on device naming schemes -- experiences both good and bad.
>
> The "cute" names only scale to a certain point, and when you have a
> detached NOC it can be pretty helpful to have some information on
> device location, function, etc built into the hostname.

Alas, that's true.  :-)

> (Notably absent is rack # which I've seen in other examples).

The real question is: how many things do you bake into the machine name
*knowing that it might move, and thus, change*?  How many things will
depend on that name?

If your management software is the only thing that cares about the name,
bake as many layers into it as you like.

> Would love to see some examples of schemes that have worked well and
> metadata you've found worth or not worth attempting to capture in a
> device name.

Well, I can recommend the RFC, but it's not really on point.  :-)

> PS: Is there an active equivalent of NANOG or this list for
> server/sysadmin related discussion?

I should think it's on-topic here; it's not like we're burning up the
bitstreams or anything...

Cheers,
-- jra