[dev-disc] Re: device discovery BOF

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 16 09:54:45 EDT 2003

> I would like to request a time slot for a BOF on device discovery on
> the upcoming IETF meeting.

What is the problem statement for this effort? That is, what problem
needs to be solved

> The purpose of this BOF is to evaluate the interest of the IETF
> community in solutions for detecting adjacent systems.

> Discussion of possible solutions would include:
>  - DDP		(draft-marques-ddp-00.txt)
>  - LLDP		(802.1ab)

It doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time on  solutions until we
have a good handle on what the problem is that needs solving.

Also, who is on this list (i.e., how many subscribers?) and where has
it been advertised? I'd like to see discussion on this list that
justifies the need for  a BOF prior to going forward with one. And I
think we need to have a collective idea of what problem needs solving.

Thomas