[dev-disc] Re: device discovery BOF

CONGDON,PAUL (HP-Roseville,ex1) paul.congdon at hp.com
Mon Jun 16 18:19:57 EDT 2003

Pedro is correct in identifying the overlap between IEEE 802.1AB and the
current DDP document with respect to the goals and problems that are to be
solved.  We in the 802.1AB working group feel we are quite far along with
the document and have the extensibility built within the solution to offer
the IETF a vehicle for addressing presumed discovery needs.  That said, it
would be prudent to share this information and explore ideas about how this
might be done (either as an IETF effort or by participating in the IEEE
effort).  It is unclear if a BOF is the best forum for this, but it is clear
that we don't want to develop duplicate protocols solving the same needs.
In any case, I'd be happy to request time on the next IEEE agenda to discuss
the IETF needs for 802.1AB.  The next IEEE meeting is scheduled for the week
of July 21st in San Francisco.

Paul