[dev-disc] Re: device discovery BOF

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 18 14:31:35 EDT 2003

> Pedro is correct in identifying the overlap between IEEE 802.1AB and the
> current DDP document with respect to the goals and problems that are to be
> solved.  We in the 802.1AB working group feel we are quite far along with
> the document and have the extensibility built within the solution to offer
> the IETF a vehicle for addressing presumed discovery needs.  That said, it
> would be prudent to share this information and explore ideas about how this
> might be done (either as an IETF effort or by participating in the IEEE
> effort).

Would it perhaps make sense for a 1-hour BOF that discusses the
problem, describes what IEEE is doing in this space, followed by some
discussion about what the IETF might do or whether it should just feed
effort into the IEEE effort?

Paul, will you be at the IETF, or would someone else be attending that
could adequately present the IEEE 802.1ab effort?

> It is unclear if a BOF is the best forum for this, but it is clear
> that we don't want to develop duplicate protocols solving the same
> needs.

Agreed. But note that BOFs are flexible. We can have a BOF that is
strictly information sharing, with the primary purpose not to (say)
form a WG.

Thomas