[dev-disc] BOF in Minneapolis??

Ron da Silva ron at aol.net
Wed Oct 1 10:59:53 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:40:10AM -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
> There were plans to host a BOF in Vienna that were canceled at the
> last minute. I have seen no activity since then. Does that mean there
> is no longer any interest in this topic? :-)
> ...what are people's thoughts on this topic?

Well...I suspect there is some interest, just need to gauge the level
of interest?

Summary of dev-disc (as far as I can recall):

1) There is some work being done in IEEE to standardize device
   discovery (802.1AB).  IETF interest in this activity could be
   accomplished via a BOF...but there should be some interest
   expressed here first.
2) Some questions were raised about dev-disc on non-802.11 media.
   Is this an area that IETF should be concerned and thus initiate
   some work?
3) Some MIB work may need to be done...need to hear some discussion
   on this topic.
4) The IEEE work includes an option to have vendor specific TLV's.
   We could create an IETF TLV if there is a need, in which we would
   need to do some work on populating that TLV.  Need some discussion
   on what the need is there (or at least some indication of interest
   by folks).
5) Are there any collaboration efforts needed wrt ptopomib rfc2992
   and the 802.1ab work?

If we could see some substantial interest in any of these (or other
related topics) the BOF may make sense..  otherwise, folks will be
simply participating in the BOF because they have nothing else of
more interest during that timeslot.

-ron