[ednog] anycast DNS

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 5 18:26:42 EDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, John Kristoff wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:40:29 -0500 (CDT)
> Jay Ford <jay-ford at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any kernels of wisdom which I could factor in as I continue
> > down this road?  Specifically, does anybody have a slick script to predicate
> > the announcement of routes for the service addresses on the availability of
> > DNS on the service addresses?
>
> Jay,
>
> Do you mean like the example presented in Appendix D here?
>
>   <http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/index.pl?tn=isc-tn-2004-1.txt>

That's most of it.  Thanks for the reference.

I'm also thinking about cases where named is still running but not answering
queries for whatever reason.  That would require killing the routing if named
failed to answer a test query.  I guess a loop containing
   host -t a ${q_name} ${serv_addr} || ifconfig ${interface} down
would about do the trick.