[ednog] wireless bridging problem

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed May 18 15:42:51 EDT 2005

[I'm going to talk about cisco features because it is what I know, but
other devices have similar capabilities.]

Not sure about other devices but Windows seems to participate in
spanning tree and send BPDUs.  If you seem to have short term loops
think about portfast and how it would interact in this situation, portfast
doesn't disable spanning tree, but it skips the listen state.  You may
want to think about adding BPDU Guard.  There are two versions, the
first at a port level disables the port if it sees a BPDU.  The second,
enabled at a global level, temporarily disables portfast and forces the
port into listen state when it sees a BPDU.  Also, look into root guard
and simply properly defining your spanning tree Root would be a big
help if you haven't done that.

I think your on the right track looking at spanning tree.  You need to
look at locking down your spanning tree.  Also keep your user access
spanning trees very simple.  When your students add a spanning tree
capable device that causes a topology change and if you have a
complicated topology it will take time to converge.

Spanning trees need to be gardened and not allowed to grow wild.

I'm not sure why the MAC address of the switch is an issue, most
users don't communicate with the their local switch. But the router's
MAC address, of the SVI on one switch, sure would be.  you might
want to look at locking down the MAC address of the router in the
forwarding table.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-624-4035