[ednog] DNS server monitoring

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:42:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:28:38 -0800 (PST)
Michael Sinatra <michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> That's a good suggestion.  I had also thought about running an NTP
> daemon  (or some such NTP process) that would be configured to poll
> NTP server(s)  no less than every 128 seconds, since most CAM tables I
> have seen age out  at 300 seconds.  It would solve the CAM table issue
> and help ensure that  the syslog server's clock stays in sync.

To expand on this, our situation was complicated by the user of HSRP.
It has been a few months since we had to deal with it, but as I recall
if you have traffic coming onto the subnet from the standby router
interface, just generating traffic from some source may not be enough
since one of the routers may miss the traffic you're trying to solicit.

Part of our solution was to increase the bridge address table aging
timer on these routers to be 2x the ARP aging timer.

John