[ednog] DNS server monitoring

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:54:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:25:13 -0500
Kevin Miller <kcmiller at duke.edu> wrote:

> Vaguely along the same lines, has anyone outsourced authoritative DNS
> (or caching dns?) to hosted providers (e.g. UltraDNS)? Was it

I think at least one university in California has UltraDNS providing
service for their www.example.edu name for DR purposes, but I don't
recall who off the top of my head so maybe someone here will pipe up.

> good/bad?  Do others that don't have comments on whether it would be a
> good or bad  thing? (perhaps trying to decouple cost from technical
> analysis)

We and other universities have provided secondary authoritative DNS
to each other for a long time.  In fact, to get an idea of just how
widespread this practice is, I refer you to the following paper:

  <http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/imc05efiles/ramasubramanian/ramasubramanian.pdf>

John