[ednog] Anyone using the ISC DHCPD failover protocol?

Todd Caine tcaine at cac.washington.edu
Wed Sep 21 16:49:07 EDT 2005

Yeah, you will need to keep your configuration in sync for the
failover pair and restart all servers that have a modified config
file.  We are storing our DHCP configuration in a relational database
and autogenerating the dhcpd.conf files using a Perl script.  The
idea is to keep the master configuration data in a central location
so that we can update it in one place and push it out to the DHCP
servers in an automated fashion.

You might also want to think about breaking up the dhcpd.conf file
into seperate files and use the include statement in dhcpd.conf to
pull in all the pieces.  You might move all of your shared-network/
subnet/pool declarations to a single file that will be copied to the
relevant DHCP servers.

At this point we are still restarting the DHCP servers manually to
get them to re-read the updated configuration files, which is a bit
tedious.

Todd