[ednog] Internet Border Routers?

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Tue May 8 10:34:13 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:26:10PM -0500, Laura Kristoff wrote:
> It's time for us to look at upgrading our border router and was
> wondering what vendors folks are using for their border router?
> Specifically is anyone using anything other than a Juniper or a Cisco as
> their Internet Border router?

We have one site using a Nortel 8600 and another using a Juniper (M20), and one connection I think uses an Alcatel. As far as I can recall that's the only non-Cisco hardware. The only issue with the Nortel so far is that it lacks modern multicast support - it will do PIM (or DVMRP - your choice) but no mBGP and no MSDP. We've hacked around that limitation for now, and apparently the features are planned for some time in the future.No idea how well it handles v6, that site isn't interested yet.

In Ciscoland, the 760x is wildly popular, and the 720x is still holding its own for folks, with the NPE-G1 or G2. 3750s are in use at a few small sites. The last 7500 was finally retired a few weeks ago ;)

Bill.