[ednog] IPv6 routing IGP

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Sat May 9 02:05:21 EDT 2009

On 05/08/09 11:32, Roy D. Hockett wrote:

> What protocol are networks using for IGP to route IPv6?

OSPFv3

> What were the deciding factors in in your decision?

We used OSPFv2 as our IPv4 IGP and had experience with it.  OSPFv3 is a
separate protocol, but works a lot like OSPFv2 (and is actually more
straightforward and intuitive in its implementation, IMO).

If we has been using IS-IS for our v4 IGP, we probably would have used
that for both v4 and v6.  (I wasn't around for the original decision to
use OSPFv2 as the IPv4 link-state routing protocol; I assume it's
because it was best supported on the gear we were using at the time.)

I'd say that whatever you're using as your v4 IGP is probably what you
want as your v6 IGP.

michael