[ednog] ednog EOL

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:12:28 EDT 2012

On 7/20/12 6:13 AM, John Kristoff wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> It's been since 2009 that there has been any discussion on the ednog
> list and there hasn't been any new R&E subscribers in a long time.
>
> I'm proposing we officially disable the list unless someone feels
> strongly this forum is worth resurrecting.  I'm happy to share or turn
> over the reins if someone wants a list admin job and a chance to build
> a community.
>
> If closing down I'd advocate for keeping the list archives online as
> long as Jared allows us to for posterity.
>
> Perhaps the last order of business if closing down would be to list
> useful alternative forums.  A few US-centric places with mailing lists
> where you can hang out I'm aware of include:

>   EDUCAUSE <http://www.educause.edu/discuss>
>   REN-ISAC <http://www.ren-isac.net/>
>   Internet2 <http://www.internet2.edu/wg/wg-list.html>

I have noticed that people sometimes use the netgurus mailing list as a
general forum for asking networking questions in the advanced R&E
community.  Is there any thought about merging the two
communities/mailing lists?  I realize netgurus has traditionally been an
invite-only list, so it may not be easy to self-select into it.

It seems like having an advanced R&E list that deals with more advanced
topics could still be useful.  Are there any ednog members who are also
part of netgurus who would like to see an advanced R&E mailing list that
people could choose to join?