[e-nsp] Critical errors: Connection between MSM-B mother board port X ..

TiM tim at muppetz.com
Fri Jul 13 06:32:01 EDT 2007

> re
>
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 10:38 +1200, TiM wrote:
>> Based on your logs I'd say there's a good chance MSM-B is broken
>> (hardware failure).  Though having dealt with Extreme's before, it
>> could be any number of things really.
>
> Is there any good change that I can replace MSM-B with a new one
> on-the-fly, without bringing system down. What's the solution? Must be
> in this case something typed into switch configuration?

Yes, there's a chance you can do that.  It should be as simple as removing
the old one, inserting a new one then making sure it boots up properly and
error free.
You could also just reseat MSM-B, in my experience this has fixed more
than a few problems.

> I see that BD has put MSM-B on the side and it's not recognized by the
> system anymore.
>
> MSM:              MSM-A        MSM-B
>                   ------------ ------------
> Module Type:      MSM64i       Empty
> Current State:    MASTER       Empty

An even better indication that MSM-B has failed outright then.

>> Your best bet is to open a TAC case, they'll be much better at helping
>> you.
>
> huh, don't know I we have any agreement of support with Extreme or any
> of there dealers.

You can still log a case with Extreme, I think the cost is $500 USD per
incident.  They will just suggest the same things I am though, remove the
MSM, reinsert it, exchange it etc.  All carry a risk the BD will crash and
need a reboot.

>> The only other advice I can offer is to run extended diags on MSM-B,
>> but in doing that there's always the chance it'll bring the switch
>> down.
>
> I know :( It's a bit hard doing this on equipment that running heavily
> in productions ..

Of course, so I'd schedule an emergency outage on it for a couple of
hours, get someone on the phone with some Extreme experience, get a spare
MSM, cross your fingers and pray.

Just make sure you backup the config via TFTP first of all before you do
anything.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Tim