[e-nsp] Extremeware images

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Tue Jun 19 19:26:27 EDT 2007

On 2007-06-20-18:32:12, Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:
> "Availability of support" in particular competent support is exactly
> why you shouldn't continue bothering with Extreme.  Cisco has a lot
> of incompetent support, but competent support does exist and can be
> found in their organizations.

Indeed, Extreme doesn't have the support structure of a larger vendor
such as Cisco, though I'm not entirely convinced this is a Bad Thing.

I've found the Extreme TAC surprisingly nimble, and pleasant to deal
with, on the occasions I've had to contact them.  Reporting software
issues and obtaining custom incremental/engineering builds was merely
a matter of the support tech shouting over to his cube-mate. :-)

> We have more than a dozen crucial BGP-announcement-affecting bugs
> that Extreme doesn't have the vaguest clue how to solve, including
> the inability to prevent re-announcement of a default route even with
> an explicit filter denying it.  No self-respecting NSP should bother
> with the wallowing shell of a company that Extreme is today.

I'd agree that using Extreme devices for L3 is a poor design design,
and one which needs to be quickly remedied.  Some of their newer
products are, however, totally workable in a strict L2 role; case in
point, the X450.  Don't throw out the proverbial baby with the bath
water!

-a