[e-nsp] vman compatibility

Laurent HENRY (EHESS/CRI) Laurent.Henry at ehess.fr
Thu Nov 20 03:08:46 EST 2008

Le Jeu 20 novembre 2008 08:55, Ronald Nsubuga a écrit :
> Hello Laurent,
>
>>            Does anyone know the compatibility of extreme networks VMan
>> ethernet encapsulation with other vendors 802.1ad/QinQ ?
>>

> It's compatible and should be able to work with any other vendor
> because it's an IEEE standard and implemented across, which model of
> extreme networks are using?

A "small" summit 48si.

>> I've read 88a8 Ethertype is used which, i think, can't be understood by
>> Cisco
>> or Juniper which can use 8100/9100/9200...
>>

> Just out of curiosity do you have Jumbo frames enabled while OR before
> configuring the Mac-in-Mac OR QinQ? STAG?
>
> configure vman ethertype 0x9100 primary
> configure vman ethertype 0x8100 secondary

This means 0x9100 as the vman type and 0x8100 to keep encapsulated packet
type ?

> Should be able to do the job.
No jumbo frames yet (i don't think something could go wrong there), i
guess this is needed since packets are getting 4 bytes longer.

Neither such encapsulations yet, i am studying it seriously for future
uses before doing the jump.

i've read some doc which raised a big interrogation to me:
http://apps.extremenetworks.com/libraries/techbriefs/Metro_TG_vMAN.asp
especially "cons" part