[e-nsp] MAC Learning in VLAN

Alexander Shikoff minotaur at crete.org.ua
Thu Nov 10 10:05:46 EST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to ask for a help with configuration of MAC learning on a VLAN.
I have three switches, same VLAN on every switch and some customers in that
VLAN on different switches:

customer1 - sw1 == trunk == sw2 == trunk == sw3 - customer3

                         customer2

All switches - Extreme X350, X650.

I need to disable MAC learning for all customers in their VLAN.
But problem is that every customer has trunk connection to a switch, so
I cannot disable MAC learning on a port and I have to disable it on a VLAN.

Thus, I created static FDB entries for every customer on a switch
and disabled MAC learning on a VLAN. I enabled unicast flooding only on
trunk connections between switches. The scheme works but there is one issue.
For example, customer2 sends traffic to customer1. Switch sw2 does not
know dst MAC address of customer1 and sends traffic to both sw1 and sw3.
When traffic is quite high I get unnecessary load on link between sw2 and sw3.

Is there any way to avoid that except adding static MAC addresses of customer1
and customer3 on sw2?

Thanks in advance!

--
MINO-RIPE