[e-nsp] vlan and vman on the same switch

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Fri Oct 12 15:13:57 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-12 20:33, Erik Bais wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> If you want to do this from a single port through the (3) devices to another port at the other side, there are several options.
>
> If the traffic is multiple vlan's.. in that case a VMAN is a good option. (make sure you have the same Ethernet frame type in all 3 devices for VMAN's.)
> If it regular untagged traffic, a single vlan should suffice.

My choice is VMAN, because it will transit several internal customer's VLANs

> It is possible to have multiple ports in a vman.. However all tagged traffic that you stuff into it, is what you get out of it. Make sure that you don't mixed customers their VMAN's, as it will also mix their vlan's :-)
No problem about, it will be point-to-point (however protection i.e.
with EAPS will be supported).

> If you have Cisco's on the other side (a trunked port) instruct the customer to prune vlan's and only allow the VLANs they need / want on the other side.   It is also quite possible to create broadcast storms if the customer is having multiple routes to the same locations. Be aware of this ..
>
> Each port that you create for a specific VMAN, should be untagged on ingress/egress.
That is what I want to do, but...
* Slot-1 SummitX450-KTW-PSE.9 # configure vman "lim-test" add ports 1:8
tagged
Error: Port 1:8 cannot be added to vMan lim-test because ports are VLAN
members
        and the vMan ethertype is not 0x8100.

lack of knowledge ???

* Slot-1 SummitX450-KTW-PSE.5 # show vman etherType
Vman Primary EtherType    : 0x88a8

I think, that this is ok, I mean, VMAN and VLAN should have different
ethertype not to mix them...

Regards,
Marcin