[e-nsp] vlan and vman on the same switch

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Fri Oct 12 17:18:51 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-12 21:33, Erik Bais wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> As you have a X450 in the config, you need to put the following configuration change on all the switches:
>
> configure vman ethertype 0x8100
>
> For the newer type switches, there are other VMAN Ethertype options, that setting is however backwards compatible.
>
> That is probably the fix.

Ok, it helped.

So I understand that on X450 one could use either VLAN or VMAN when with
different ethertypes.

I also can see, that there is a separate table of VLANs and VMANs.
In a case of different ethertypes - do I have 2x 4096 virtual circuits ?

In a case of the same ethertype for VLAN and VMAN (0x8100) - I suppose
that then I can't have the same tags for vlan X and vman Y.
and - so, the switch is recognizing VLANs from VMANs (x450 or any other
when using the same ethertype) by that, that the tag is in VMAN or VLAN
table ?

btw, is it possible somehow gently pop an outer VLAN TAG (VMAN) to
extract inner VLANs ?

Regards,
Marcin