[e-nsp] Extreme newbie questions...

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Tue Aug 6 12:24:33 EDT 2013

Sorry, two emails in the space of 10 minutes...

A few questions from an Extreme newbie :)

1) Is there a BCP for configuring Extreme switches to be "secure"? There's a
   few different templates out there for Cisco, which I've based my current
   config templates on, but I've not yet stumbled on anything for Extreme.
   Anyone aware of anything?

2) Is anyone using Rancid to backup configs off Extreme switches? I've tried
   with an X460 (running 15.3.1.4), and Rancid keeps reporting lines coming
   and going - as if it's not coping with the paging on a "show config". Any
   hints for making it work properly before I start hacking at the Rancid code?

3) I'm configuring ACLs for SSH, telnet, etc, using a policy file, and then
   "configure ssh2 access-profile mgmt-acl" in the config. This appears to do
   what I expect, but I then can't edit the policy without removing it from the
   config, and the policy files aren't easy to paste onto the switch when
   building a new config. Is there a better way to do this? (Oh, and Rancid
   doesn't seem to backup the policy files)

4) Anyone seen this error message before? "<Erro:MPLS.DPM.UNEX>   =>
   Unexpected malloc failure at exd_new_hist:321"? I'm getting this logged a
   lot on an X460 running MPLS, but it doesn't _appear_ to be affecting
   anything. I've got an SR open with Extreme TAC about it, but they're being
   surprisingly quiet about it.

Thanks in advance, :)

Simon