[e-nsp] Extreme newbie questions...

Luis Mercado lmercado at logicworks.net
Tue Aug 6 16:06:33 EDT 2013

Hi Simon,

[1]
We are using extreme switches mainly for their layer 2 functionality (EAPS) . Quite frankly I don't trust them
as layer III  devices. We are using x650s and x460s. I don't have a ospf problem you are having. It sounds like
it is an mtu issue. There are two ways to set the mtu on these. You can set the mtu to a vlan for routing and
you can set it on the port.

configure ip-mtu 1500 vlan test

(I use the default 1500 for routing and 9000 for switching)

or

enable jumbo-frame ports all
configure jumbo-frame-size 9000

[2]

I have not set up rancid on our switches yet but I do have it set to save the config to a tftp server every time I log in.
The script checks the logs for authenticated events and uploads configs and policies to the tftp server. It works!!
At the server I have a script that moves the files from the tftp directory and sorts them into their own directories.
I included all here..

# Module ems configuration.
#
create log filter AAA_Login
create log filter AAA_Loginconfigure
configure log filter AAA_Login add events AAA.authPass
create log target upm Upload_config
enable log target upm Upload_config
configure log target upm Upload_config filter AAA_Login severity Info

# Module upm configuration.
#
create upm profile Upload_config
enable cli scripting
set var CLI.OUT " "
ls
set var cntrl_cfg 1
set var base_list $TCL(join ${CLI.OUT})
set var base_list $TCL(lsort $base_list)
set var base_list $TCL(split $base_list)
delete var "CLI.OUT"
set var CLI.OUT " "
show switch
set var base_list2 $TCL(split ${CLI.OUT} "\n")
set var baseSystemTime $TCL(clock seconds)
set var systemTime $TCL(clock format $baseSystemTime -format {%Y.%m.%d_%H.%M.%S})
#set var systemTime $TCL(clock format $baseSystemTime -format {%m.%d.%Y_%H.%M.%S})
set var systemname $TCL(lindex $base_list2 1)
set var systemname $TCL(string replace $systemname 0 17 {})
delete var "CLI.OUT"
set var filename "$(systemname)_$(systemTime)_"
delete var systemname
delete var systemtype
delete var systemTime
while ($cntrl_cfg == 1) do
set var configcfg $TCL(lsearch -glob $base_list *cfg*)
set var configcfgFile $TCL(lindex $base_list $configcfg)
set var base_list $TCL(lreplace $base_list $configcfg $configcfg deleted)
tftp put 10.252.7.20 vr VR-Mgmt $(configcfgFile) $(filename)$(configcfgFile)
set var cntrl_cfg $TCL(regexp -nocase {cfg} $base_list)
endwhile
set var CLI.OUT " "
ls
set var base_list $TCL(join ${CLI.OUT})
set var base_list $TCL(lsort $base_list)
set var base_list $TCL(split $base_list)
delete var "CLI.OUT"
set var cntrl_cfg 1
while ($cntrl_cfg == 1) do
set var polcfg $TCL(lsearch -glob $base_list *pol*)
set var polcfgFile $TCL(lindex $base_list $polcfg)
set var base_list $TCL(lreplace $base_list $polcfg $polcfg deleted)
tftp put 10.252.7.20 vr VR-Mgmt $(polcfgFile) $(filename)$(polcfgFile)
set var cntrl_cfg $TCL(regexp -nocase {pol} $base_list)
endwhile
upload config 10.252.7.20  $(filename).xsf VR-Mgmt
delete var base_list
delete var configcfg
delete var configcfgFile
delete var cntrl_cfg
delete var base_list2
delete var filename

.

#

The (.) dot above the # sign is necessary.

Here is the crontab script. It grabs the files from the tftp directory and moves them to /switchconfigs (creates a folder per device)

perl -e'$b="/tftpboot/";$e="/switchconfigs";@l=`ls -1 $b|grep -E "cfg|xsf|pol"|grep -v pxelinux`;foreach(@l){chomp($_);next if(!m/^[[:alnum:]\.-]+\_/);split(/_/,$_);`mkdir -p $e/$_[0]` if(!-f"$e/$_[0]");`mv $b\/$_ $e\/$_[0]`;}'

[3]

After you modify the policy file you have to check it and refresh it. (this is the official way to do it)

(this checks the policy for parsing errors) Not that there are different types of policies. If your policy is an access-list you need to append the "access-list" parameter at the end.

check policy mgmt-acl access-list
refresh mgmt-acl  test

Be careful when refreshing policies, especially when you have a stack of 4 switches. We've had issues where we refresh a policy and it took down our six node stack.
The best policy is to modify the policy, check it, then remove from the profile (or interface) and readd.

[4]

I have not seen that error.

Regards,

-LM