[e-nsp] VLAN without IGMP snooping and multicasts

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Mon Dec 30 08:46:11 EST 2013

hello,

we have a customer who has some strange devices transmitting "fixed"
multicast stream without using IGMP requests in a regular way.
So we had to turn off IGMP snooping on that vlan, otherwise transmission
was extinguished after IGMP timers expire.
I'am not arguing with these devices, they transmit DVB-T MUX signal in
their own, properitary way.

However, because it passes EAPS ring, I have noticed that this stream is
also broadcasted to backup port of EAPS ring.

So my question is - is it correct that multicasts when IGMP snooping is
off are broadcasted instead of using regular FDB ?

Switches: Summit-X650-24x
Soft: ExtremeXOS version 15.3 series

Regards,
Marcin