[e-nsp] Extreme Networks Summit1iTx L3 switch delays ICMP traffic routed through the switch or addressed to the switch

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Sep 1 05:45:37 EDT 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Shankar wrote:

> ICMP traffic is always software forwarded in EWare....so the RTT is
> higher when compared to other traffic that is hardware forwarded....

Well, that is not strictly true. If you have newer ASICs in your hardware
(manufactured after 2005 or so depending on platform), you can do "disable
icmp access-list" (if I remember correctly) and ICMP will be hardware
forwarded, but downside is that ICMP becomes "invisible" to access-lists.

Otherwise all traffic is punted to CPU for forwarding and will experience
increased latency depending on current CPU load, and also will max out at
approximately 10 megabit/s or so.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se