[F10-nsp] S50n problems w/ stacking,packet drops

Doug Warner doug at warner.fm
Fri Feb 26 13:26:35 EST 2010

We've been demoing some S50n units and have been having some problems which I
have a hard time seeing are "normal", but wanted to get some outside
perspective on things.

Our first pair of demo units wouldn't stack properly.  They pretty much
wouldn't see each other.

These were replaced and the next set seemed to stack fine.  Then one of the
units started having a problem where it would loose its config and need reset
so it would boot properly if it was left unplugged for more than an hour or so.

After we got over these issues we tried to put them in production and ended up
having really bad packet loss to hosts even directly connected to the switches
(~60% in some cases).  We weren't pushing a lot of bandwidth; our usual
traffic is probably < 6gbps across an entire 48-port switch.  The switch was
doing primarily only layer 2 switching; the only layer 3 stuff it would have
touched would have been management request to itself.

Has anyone else had experiences like we've had?  I'm assuming this is
abnormal, but just wanted some outside experiences.

-Doug