[F10-nsp] Force10 E300 Terascale question

Vinny_Abello at Dell.com Vinny_Abello at Dell.com
Wed Mar 20 10:41:27 EDT 2013

Hi Ryan,

Just up front, I do work for Dell, but not the Force10 group. I just have some knowledge of the products from using them.

If your E300 has EG3 (dual CAM) line cards, the default CAM profile should provide 512K IPv4 and 32K IPv6 routes. If you have older line cards, you'll top out at a default of 256K IPv4 routes, or 192K/6K IPv4/IPv6. The CAM profiles are configurable so you might be able to squeeze more out of it, but the IPv4 routing table is currently over 436K prefixes from my network's viewpoint and close to 12K IPv6 prefixes. You probably won't have much breathing room. Even the E600i Exascale platform defaults to 512K IPv4 prefixes and I think it tops out somewhere in the 600's if you adjust the CAM profile. These are great datacenter access layer switches when you only need to feed a limited number of routes or just defaults to them and should work well for that. At the edge of the Internet receiving full routes, you probably won't get too much life out of them before you need to start filtering out longer prefixes or replace it with something else. I've not used them in such a scenario, but they easily support all the required standards to make it work as long as you don't exhaust the CAM.

-Vinny

From: force10-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:force10-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Ryan Goddard
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:56 AM
To: force10-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [F10-nsp] Force10 E300 Terascale question

Anybody using Dell/Force 10 E300 Terascale on the edge?
Looking for anyone with actual experience placing one of these in a service provider environment, full BGP tables from provider running iBGP to a mirrored setup to different provider (Dual home to different ISP topology).
Also with E300 running OSPF on the inside to multiple areas.
Appreciate any info.
thanks
-Ryan

This message contains information for use only by the intended recipient and may be legally privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure. If you received this message in error, notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, this e-mail is not a contract offer, amendment, nor acceptance.