[f-nsp] Rate limiting on Foundry switches

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Dec 16 00:01:40 EST 2004

Hi,

I've never tried this with Foundries so can' help with any input there.
  However, in a previous life, my company delivered rate limited
ethernet services in several corporate office buildings.  That was with
low end Cisco switches.  We were happy with the performance.  The key
was to ensure that there was some burst available.

The info below was floated around recently on the Cisco-NSP mailing
list for applying a consistent 4mbps CAR setup.  Perhaps the logic can
be applied to the Foundry.

		The following line produces a razor sharp 4 meg chart.

		rate-limit input 4000000 6000000 12000000 conform-action transmit
		exceed-action drop

		Value 1. bits per second
		Value 2. Normal burst bytes = bits per second * 1.5
		Value 3. Maximum burst bytes = normal burst bytes * 2

Hope that helps

David