[f-nsp] Rate limiting on Foundry switches

Robert Brewer rbrewer at lava.net
Wed Dec 15 23:00:38 EST 2004

I'm working on an upgrade of our colocation Ethernet infrastructure, and one
thing I would like to be able to do is rate limit customers to a particular
speed with a granularity of 1 Mbit/s. I want it to work as close as possible
to a virtual communications link of the specified speed. For example, an
interface limited to 3 Mbit/s should act like a pair of bonded T1s even
though it is actually running over a 100BaseT full duplex interface.
Apparently this is hard to do, since the only hardware I have seen that can
do this well is Cisco IOS's rate-limit and traffic-shape.

Anyway, our local Foundry reps said that the Foundry FastIron Edge Switch
(FES) could do rate limiting. I configured a FES4802 and found that the
"fixed rate-limiting" it supports was unacceptable. Using iperf, I was unable
to get TCP performance close to the configured rate, and it got worse as I
increased the configured rate-limit.

Next I tried the FastIron 4802 (FWS4802) that supports "adaptive rate
limiting". Unfortunately, it also did not perform acceptably. Using iperf to
test, for TCP traffic I would see substantially lower throughput than the
configured rate. For example for a configured rate of 6 Mbit/s I would see
3.2 Mbit/s. Doing UDP tests with iperf showed the expected behavior:
throughput that closely tracked the configured rate.

It looks like the algorithm the Foundry stuff uses to rate limit hoses TCP
performance, presumably because it drops packets in ways that upset the TCP
flow control methods.

Has anyone gotten acceptable performance for rate limiting from Foundry
hardware for this kind of application? If not, any suggestions on hardware
that does get this right? Mahalo!
--
Robert Brewer                                              ph: 808-532-8246
Assistant Manager, System Department                      fax: 808-532-8246