[f-nsp] can't get ping on foundry

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Mon Jun 14 21:00:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:42:54PM -0700, Dan Norton wrote:
> Ping self works fine, but the arp tables are not being populated on the
> foundry when I try to ping other hosts.

This sounds vaguely familiar, like it might be a problem I had in the
past getting a ServerIron up, but I can no longer remember the details
of how I solved it, or if this is in fact the same problem.

Are you using a cross-over cable between the Foundry and the router?  I
remember I had some problems with MDX (auto-crossover detection) on
another switch screwing things up on the ServerIron, but I don't
remember if it related to this.

Also, a suggestion you disable VLANs and don't try to get them working
until you have other stuff going; I've found VLAN interoperability very
very touchy on the ServerIrons.  That could conceivably be affecting
the ARP visibility.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
Did you ever fly a kite in bed?  Did you ever walk with ten cats on your head?
  Did you ever milk this kind of cow?  Well we can do it.  We know how.
If you never did, you should.  These things are fun, and fun is good.
                                                                 -- Dr. Seuss