[f-nsp] ServerIronXL 16 or 24 port questions..

Michael Bellears MBellears at staff.datafx.com.au
Wed Jun 23 02:37:38 EDT 2004

We are looking at purchasing one of the above devices, and primarily
want to use it for Global Load Balancing ("real" servers will be located
in geographic disperse locations.)

How is the above achieved on the ServerIron - Eg. For load-balancing of
a webserver: If we have one "real" server directly connected to the
ServerIron, and another "real" server co-located with provider x in
another country - How are requests handled?

 - All requests for the webserver are initially handled by the
ServerIron (Virtual Server IP), requests are forwarded to Real IP
(Server directly connected), and also to remote server (Does traffic
destined for this server go back out the Server Irons default GW?)

My other question is regarding the ServerIron switch ports - Must each
backend "real" server have a dedicated port, or can I connect a layer 2
switch to one of the ServerIron ports to give me greater capacity?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
MB