[f-nsp] ServerIronXL 16 or 24 port questions..

Emilia Lambros emilial at hostworks.com.au
Thu Jun 24 03:09:41 EDT 2004

Can't say I've ever configured it without SLBs at each site.  We did it
slightly differently to the way they did it in any case:

Primary site:

two ServerIrons doing the following:
- regular load balancing for sub.domain.com.au across X web servers
(just http) .. the virtual and real servers are all in the same subnet
as the load balancer, so nothing fancy
- running gslb protocol
- virtual for DNS requests (the subdomain is actually delegated to the
dns virtual server that's configured on both the SLBs)

Secondary site

two serverirons doing the following:
- regular load balancing for sub.domain.com.au across X web servers
(just http) .. again, the virtual and real servers are all in the same
subnet as the load balancer
- running gslb protocol
- virtual for DNS requests (as per any DNS, the subdomain is delegated
to more than one name server - in this case those nameservers are SLBs.

As part of the GSLB config, the presence of every other load balancer is
configured into every other load balancer.

e.g. at the primary site, we configured each location and what
serverirons are located there.  Through GSLB, the load balancers
discover what  virtual servers are on each and whether they're active or
not based on whether any real servers bound to it are active.  We also
set priorities in our case because we only want one of the IP addresses
to be given to the client requesting the site.  All servers have to be
failed at the primary site before the secondary site is given as a
response to anyone doing even an nslookup on sub.domain.com.au.

Its a little difficult to understand without being able to sift through
the config for yourself, but if I get a chance I'll "anonymous" it and
add it for you to take a look at :)

Em