[f-nsp] dns keepalive checks on "unknown" ports

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Nov 11 16:55:24 EST 2004

A better idea for aliased ports is to associate them with a
master port.  If you have X aliased ports then you are generating
  X + 1 healthchecks (if you could get them to work in your setup
that is :).  This is not only an excessive load but also provides
a window during which 1 VIP may believe a real server is fine
while another knows it's failed a healthcheck.

If you associate the aliased port with a master port then it
just uses the current state of the master port without re-testing
the service's health.  You can set it up using something like
the following fragment.

---
server port 1110
  connection-log all
  session-sync
  tcp keepalive 5 3
  tcp keepalive use-master-state
---

In this situation, port 1110 is an alias to 110 and is bound using
a "no port 110 translate" on the VIP.  Works like a charm.

David

On 12/11/2004, at 4:48 AM, Michael Renner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I currently have a "Many-to-one" setup [1] on a Foundry ServerIron XL
> running 07.4.00T12, with 2 virtual servers pointing to 3 real servers,
> but I'm not able to enable keepalive on the "aliased" port as
> suggested in the documentation [2].

[ ..... ]