[f-nsp] dns keepalive checks on "unknown" ports

Michael Renner michael.renner at geizhals.at
Thu Nov 11 19:37:36 EST 2004

David J. Hughes wrote:

> A better idea for aliased ports is to associate them with a
> master port.  If you have X aliased ports then you are generating
>  X + 1 healthchecks (if you could get them to work in your setup
> that is :).  This is not only an excessive load but also provides
> a window during which 1 VIP may believe a real server is fine
> while another knows it's failed a healthcheck.

Ahhh, yeah, that would be great if it wasn't for strange limitations in
the foundry firmware. Quoting from the documentation [1]:

"You cannot base an alias port’s health on the health of a UDP port or a
port that is not well-known to the ServerIron."

Bummer. But since it's only DNS the "excessive" requests aren't really a
problem. About the window - oh well - something I've to live with I
guess ;).

Other than that my setup looks fine or is there still room for improvement?

[1]
http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/siug/ServerIron_health_checks.html#55152

best regards,
Michael