[f-nsp] dns keepalive checks on "unknown" ports

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Nov 11 20:01:01 EST 2004

On 12/11/2004, at 10:37 AM, Michael Renner wrote:

> Ahhh, yeah, that would be great if it wasn't for strange limitations
> in the foundry firmware. Quoting from the documentation [1]:
>
> "You cannot base an alias port’s health on the health of a UDP port or
> a port that is not well-known to the ServerIron."

Wow!  I've seen some "odd" things on the SI's but that one just about
takes the cake.  Logic, useability, and firmware development strategies
are obviously mutually exclusive :)

> Bummer. But since it's only DNS the "excessive" requests aren't really
> a problem. About the window - oh well - something I've to live with I
> guess ;).

We had about 20 port aliased VIPs (to handle legacy addresses and other
ugliness) and the "window" actually was a significant problem.  Luckily
for us these were POP3 VIPs so I didn't find this issue about non-well
known tcp ports.

> Other than that my setup looks fine or is there still room for
> improvement?

Looks fine to me.

David