[f-nsp] dns keepalive checks on "unknown" ports

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Nov 11 20:15:29 EST 2004

On 12/11/2004, at 11:01 AM, David J. Hughes wrote:

>> "You cannot base an alias port’s health on the health of a UDP port
>> or a port that is not well-known to the ServerIron."
>
> Wow!  I've seen some "odd" things on the SI's but that one just about
> takes the cake.  Logic, useability, and firmware development
> strategies are obviously mutually exclusive :)

It's not every day I reply to my own posts ;-)

But, on this "well known tcp port" business, I just remembered that
when we did our initial testing of using master-port configuration we
did it using dummy SMTP servers running on port 26 - and it worked just
fine.  Now, TCP 26 doesn't appear to be too well known to me.  That was
on a pair of SI-100's running WSR08100m.  Might be worth actually
trying it before discarding the idea.

David