[f-nsp] unable to turn on spanning tree on some VLANs

Vu Phan vphan at pillardata.com
Mon Aug 22 21:02:28 EDT 2005

Hello,

We have a Foundry FastIron 1500 as our core switch that is running 7.80g
jetcore software.  The VLANs are configured as port based VLANs.  The
problem is that I get the following error below when I try and enable
spanning tree on some of our VLANs.  Out of the 92 VLANs that we have,
spanning tree can only be enabled on half of them.  We have Cisco
2970/2950/3500XL, Dell 5224/5324 and SMC 8624 switches connected to the
Foundry and spanning tree is enabled on all of them.  Anybody seen this
error before or know how I would go about troubleshooting it?

telnet at ca01-test(config-vlan-80)#spanning-tree
error - failed to bind STP to vlan 80

thank you in advance,

Vu