[f-nsp] unable to turn on spanning tree on some VLANs

Thomas Braun tb at westend.com
Tue Aug 23 04:21:29 EDT 2005

Hi,

> We have a Foundry FastIron 1500 as our core switch that is running
> 7.80g jetcore software.  The VLANs are configured as port based
> VLANs.  The problem is that I get the following error below when I try
> and enable spanning tree on some of our VLANs.  Out of the 92 VLANs
> that we have, spanning tree can only be enabled on half of them.  We
> have Cisco 2970/2950/3500XL, Dell 5224/5324 and SMC 8624 switches
> connected to the Foundry and spanning tree is enabled on all of them.
> Anybody seen this error before or know how I would go about
> troubleshooting it?

you need to adjust the system defaults.
Type the command "show default values" and look for the spanning-tree
instances.

On our Fastiron edge 12GCF i get this output:
System Parameters    Default    Maximum    Current
spanning-tree        32         128        128

You can adjust these Values (Configmode) with the command:
system-max spanning-tree 128

Hope it helps.

cu thomas