[f-nsp] Configuring default real server for non HTTP traffic?

Zurek, Patrick pzurek at uillinois.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:11:18 EST 2005

Greetings all,

I'm trying to share a particular IP address between our main application server and our VIP.  Basically, I would like all requests to port 80 on ishare.illinois.edu (for example) to be distributed amongst the real web servers, like it currently is.  Otherwise, all other traffic should to default to the application server, or at least the particular ports I'm interested in.  This can probably be done with FreeBSD & pf but I'm trying to use resources already in place.

The best I can come up with so far is to define the application server as a real server and bind all the ports I want forwarded to the app server on the VIP.

For example:

server real eisweb7 128.174.93.47
 port http
 port http url "HEAD /"
 port http status-code  200 299 302 302
!
server real eisweb8 128.174.93.48
 port http
 port http url "HEAD /"
 port http status-code  200 299 302 302

server real appserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 port 10000
 port 12999

server virtual eisweb 128.174.93.40
 sym-priority 50
 sym-active
 port http sticky
 bind http eisweb7 http eisweb8 http
 bind 10000 appserver 10000
 bind 12999 appserver 12999

The big problem is, there are approximately 700 ports (don't ask..) that would need to be forwarded to the application server.  So, is there a way to have all traffic default to a particular real server if it's not to port 80?  Or is there a way to specify port ranges?  Or just an altogether better way of doing this?

Thanks for the help!

Pat Zurek
pzurek at uillinois.edu