[f-nsp] Management interfaces on Foundry EdgeIron 24G

Cliff Fogle Cliff at kodakgallery.com
Thu Dec 22 13:18:12 EST 2005

Yes.  I've had that problem once.  Most of the time I have the problem
where the management interface cannot reach it's default gateway.  I can
log into the switch from the same subnet, but not from other subnets.

My only suggestions are below.  My favorite, and the one I am currently
doing, is number 3.

1.  Upgrade the code.  If it's a vanilla 24G you may not be able to fit
any current code revs on there.  If it's a 24G-A, they have more
storage, and can take new code.

2.  Turn off spanning tree.  These suckers have some weird spanning-tree
version detection that just doesn't work.  I've made it a rule not to
run spanning-tree on any EdgeIron.  This may not fix your problem...but
do it anyway.

3.  Replace it with a FWSX-424.  Way way way better switch.  These have
been extremely stable with ZERO problems.

In my opinion the OEM EdgeIron switches were a very poor decision on
Foundry's part.  Your entry level gear should be some of your best, it's
frequently a stepping stone to a customer buying much larger equipment.