[f-nsp] BGP Session stuck in IDLE state

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Jan 5 11:14:36 EST 2005

Hiya Mike,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Mike Hughes wrote:

> --On 05 January 2005 15:53 +0000 Sam Stickland <sam_ml at spacething.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I've just added it's 49th and 50th BGP sessions to it, but they remain
>> stuck in the IDLE stack. If I do a 'clear ip bgp nei x.y.z.w' then the
>> state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.
>>
>> The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions,
>> and the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.
>>
>> It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.
>>
>> As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
>> IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.
>>
>> Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?
>
> Any idea what the neighbour is?
> Anything interesting or odd in the logs on the neighbour device?

I've asked the peer for this information. In the meantime a quick MAC
address check shows it's a cisco.

> Foundry used to have an insanely aggressive BGP scanner. Maybe they have
> toned it down a bit, and in doing so, gone ultra conservative?

Perhaps, but there wasn't any problems with the first 47 BGP sessions -
they all established correctly.

I tried shutting down an iBGP session I could afford to lose. It didn't
make any difference to the two stuck IDLE sessions, and it came back up
again almost straight away when I brought it back.

So that does suggest that it's a problem specific to these neighbours.

(Just to clarify, when I save it's stuck in the IDLE state, it never moves
into the ACTV or CONN states).

Sam