[f-nsp] BGP Session stuck in IDLE state

Mike Hughes mike at linx.net
Wed Jan 5 10:55:25 EST 2005

--On 05 January 2005 15:53 +0000 Sam Stickland <sam_ml at spacething.org>
wrote:

> I've just added it's 49th and 50th BGP sessions to it, but they remain
> stuck in the IDLE stack. If I do a 'clear ip bgp nei x.y.z.w' then the
> state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.
>
> The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions,
> and the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.
>
> It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.
>
> As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
> IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?

Any idea what the neighbour is?
Anything interesting or odd in the logs on the neighbour device?

Foundry used to have an insanely aggressive BGP scanner. Maybe they have
toned it down a bit, and in doing so, gone ultra conservative?

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Hughes     Chief Technical Officer  London Internet Exchange
mike at linx.net   http://www.linx.net/