[f-nsp] Of 4802s, SIXLs, and VRRP

Tuc tuc at ttsg.com
Mon May 23 14:45:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

      I'm running into issues with a setup of 2 4802's and 2 SIXLs.
(You might have seen my VRRP question before). The 2 SIXL's are tied
together with a X-over in a VLAN so they can heartbeat.

      The SIXL's then have in VLAN 1, 2 connections, one to each
4802. On each 4802, the two SIXL-connected Ethernet ports are placed
into a VLAN numbered 100.

      I had this running and everything SEEMED fine, until I
moved it. Now things aren't working and I don't know if they weren't
working the same before, or what.... I MIGHT have cable issues, which
I will check out, but can't until after 5p. I thought maybe getting
some thoughts going for other things to check before them would help out.

      The first issue is that the primary can't ping the IP address associated
with the secondary. Is this normal?

       Second, instead of putting a PC on something that both of the 4802's
connected to, so that VRRP was truely active for it, I put it into a port
in the same VLAN for the VRRP on only one of the switches (The backup).
I wasn't able to ping the primarys IP address. (This might be related to
the first issue, since if I can't ping the 2nd from the first, maybe I can't
ping the first from the second. :) )

       Third, why wouldn't doing :

       A.         4802-1port1>SIXL-1port1
       B.         4802-1port2>SIXL-2port1
       C.         4802-2port1>SIXL-1port2
       D.         4802-2port2>SIXL-2port2

	cause spanning tree to kick in and not shut down one of the links.

		Thanks, Tuc