[f-nsp] Foundry Recommendations.

Jamie Dahl jamied at meatball.net
Fri Nov 4 17:29:07 EST 2005

At my previous employer, we used Foundry extensively, I've experience w/
the Fast Iron (WG, and Chassis), the Server Iron (xl and chassis), and
then of course the Big Irons.

It really depends on how you plan on using the hardware, layer 2, and
layer 4-7 it's a really solid platform (i'd use FDRY for LB any day over
alteon or cisco), but one thing that always seems to give problems is
the interaction of L2 and L3 on the BI platforms', but in our case the
way were using these boxes in ways they were'nt ultimately meant to be used.
..All in all I've seen Cisco's choke on lesser loads then the BIs..

As far as support goes, as long as you're upfront about what your
support contract says, and give them the show tech up front they are
pretty responsive and easy to work with.

I'd say almost on par w/ Cisco, (although I like Cisco's tools. site
better)..

anyway as far as hardware capabilities go, I think going Foundry is
pretty smart, it's a cheaper (pricewise) box, and it pushes packets
better then the comprable cisco equipment..