[f-nsp] Dying GIG-Ports on jetcore bigirons

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Sun Jul 30 09:58:17 EDT 2006

Hello colleagues,

>From time to time Gigabit-Fiber-Ports on our old
BI8GMR-Jetcore-Managementmodules are dying. In most cases they're starting
to cause crc-errors which can be seen as rx-errors on the devices connected
to them. Other ports are completely dead and don't bring up any link at all.

I have heard that this is "normal" because the lasers on those modules are
so old and are reaching their end of life. Is there a cheap way to replace
them?

What about the B8GMR3-Modules: are they affected too? I'm thinking about
replacing the B8GMRs with B8GMR3s because they are cheap on the grey market
- but this would only make sense if they're not affected.

Thanks,
Gunther