[f-nsp] MAC/ARP tracking?

Bruce Rodger Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 05:06:56 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, David Temkin wrote:

> What tools to you guys generally use for MAC/ARP tracking on Foundry
> devices?  Most of the tools I've used in the past don't support Foundry
> (mostly Vendor C) and haven't had much luck thus far.

Have a look at netdisco (www.netdisco.org). Although originally written
from a cisco-centric perspective, it works well with Foundry kit, and
many other vendors - most of the SNMP calls that it uses are just
MIB-II.

It uses CDP to determine topology information. There is some (slightly
broken - I added it!) support in there for FDP - which works OK as long
as you don't use FDP with CDP emulation as well, cos it then discovers
links twice. :)

Once it learns (or has been told about) the topology, it identifies all
the L2 and L3 devices. It then regularly pulls the arp (IP <> mac) info
from the L3 devices, and the MAC<>port info from the L2 devices, and
stores it all in a SQL database.

Various tools to search, to enable/disable ports etc etc.

Bruce.

--
Bruce Rodger                      |Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk  PGP key available
Network Manager, IT Services      |http://www.strath.ac.uk/IT/People/bruce.html