[f-nsp] CAM and ip net-aggregate or ip supernet aggregate - does it help to free the cam up ? WAS:AW: cam strangeness

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Tue Mar 7 19:12:18 EST 2006

Ok, reading the foundry doc's again very carefully, I understad at least
one of the problems - it relates to "overlapping networks":

My two IP transfernets between the NI and RTR1/2 ...

                    +----SW1----+------+
                    |           |      |
      UPLINK----NI400          RTR1   RTR2
                    |           |      |
                    +----SW2----+------+

...are subnets of the mysterious /18, so the /18 is a supernet of
directly connected networks from the NI view, e.g.:

 - directly connected: 212.79.x/24  (via SW1)
 - directly connected: 212.79.y/24  (via SW2)
 - supernet route:     212.79/18 -> RTR1/2

The document

http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/diag/CAM-partitioning.html

describes now what will happen in this situation: per default the router
will create /32 CAM entries to every needed destination within the
supernet. But the solution the document suggest makes me not happy
because it seems that the only way to get rid of the bunch of /32s is
the way via software/cpu forwarding for some prefixes.

--
Gerald