[f-nsp] BigIron 15000 load balancing

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Oct 12 08:16:32 EDT 2006

* fahad.alikhan at gmail.com (FAHAD ALI KHAN) [Thu 12 Oct 2006, 06:09 CEST]:
>Actually i have BigIron 15000 with JetCore Gig Copper Module and JetCore
>Copper E Module (48 Port FastEthernet).
>
>Initailly i go for Aggregated (trunk) interfaces, but it wont work for me.
>it is poosible that im missing something in it. This is my scenario,
>
>UpStream --- Juniper M5 === BigIron 15000 ------ Connected to Other
>PoPs/Clients/Servers on Fiber and Ethernet
>
>Now the Downward traffic from upstream to my PoPs and Client is arround
>90Mbps and will gonna incerase.... i want to terminate bigIron 2
>FastEthernet (as M5 has 4 port FE PIC) to M5 and want to do Etherchannel
>or Trunk between M5 and BigIron to do proper loadbalancing.......
>
>Now what happen....aggregate link has been successfully established but
>when the traffic is through over it.....it goes like this......
>
>Juniper-M5-FE1-input = 2Mbps , Juniper-M5-FE1-output = 0
>Juniper-M5-FE2-input = 0         , Juniper-M5-FE2-output = 2Mbps
>
>same on Foundry ethernet interfaces.....it is possible that it is due to
>the algo used but it will be surely based on Dest/Src IP address or
>Dest/Src MAC address.
>
>But this is not loadbalancing......!
>
>Kindly if you ever try it......kindly send me the sample config...so i
>can verify it with mine......

You've still not explained whether you are routing or switching on that
BigIron.  And you state 2 Mbps in your drawing but claim 90 Mbps in your
text.

It may well be that you misconfigured the aggregated link to
load-balance only on destination MAC address.  What did you configure?
I explained the difference in my earlier mail (switch vs server trunk).

"trunk server e 4/1 to 4/2" would do it on the BigIron JetCore side
(assuming those ports connect to the M5, and assuming you're switching
 not routing).

The 48-port 10/100 blade places no limits on port placement within a
trunk and it should load-balance fine for server trunks.

	-- Niels.