[f-nsp] BigIron 4000 and Full Internet Table

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Thu Oct 12 19:08:29 EDT 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 18:28, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:
> Hello Gerald,
>
> Why it is true that those system will most probably melt down during a dos
> there are no problems during normal operations:

Ack. We have still 2 working NI/M4's in production with some e/iBGP peers.

> The cam is a little bit low during peak hours as you can see below:
> show cam ip 1/1 stat
> CAM IP statistics:      free entries    total entries
>            level1:      654             8192
>            level2:      1644            2048
>            level3:      2010            2047
> The use ip net-aggregate and a shorter interval like 5 can resolve this
> problem.

I would rather say `tune´ than `solve´. Until now I'm confused about the fact
that you need a existing default route to use 'ip net-aggregate':

 "ip net-aggregate - Optimizes the CAM for devices that have very large IP
route tables (100,000 or more), where most of those routes use the same next
hops as the default route."

 "CAM network aggregation requires a default route in the IP route table."

--
Gerald    (ax/tc)