[f-nsp] Looking for throughput infos

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Thu Sep 14 13:06:01 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 17:56, Jens Brey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does someone has informations or a link about the throughput of a
> BigIron 4000 with M4 Modules, 512 MB RAM, Gigabit Uplink and 3 BGP Full
> Tables?
>
> I heard from something around 850 MBit. Is this right?
> Average packetsize is around 500 Byte.

IMHO the main limiting factor for the max throughput of a B4000 is the number
of new flows/second because of the small cam size and not the packetsize
itself. If you have 500 byte packets from/to only some certain
sources/destinations I wouldn't be surprised if the B4000 could move 1GBit/s
or more. The pain begins definitively when the flows grow up but this is
something you hardly can control in an internet environment.

--
Gerald    (ax/tc)